Learn more about the CELPIP Test and why it's right for you.
See what is the CELPIP-General test and CELPIP English test.
Start improving your grades today.
Send a Message
Start improving your grades today.
The CELPIP Test
CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program
CELPIP is a computerized language proficiency assessment that is ideal for proving English competency for immigration to Canada or for Canadian citizenship. It's administered by Paragon Testing Enterprises, a subsidiary of the University of British Columbia, one of Canada's top universities.
CELPIP is well-known and accepted by many professional institutions, universities, and colleges for those who need an English language certification. The test's four components (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) evaluates a test taker's ability to use everyday English and comprehension to be able to navigate comfortably within Canada.
There are two types of CELPIP tests: CELPIP-General offers an accurate measurement of English proficiency in day-to-day situations, and CELPIP-General LS provides listening and speaking proficiency.
CELPIP - General
- Evaluates Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking
- Used to apply for permanent citizenship status
CELPIP - General LS
- Evaluates Listening, Speaking
- Needed to apply for citizenship status
Two types of CELPIP exams
- Easy to prepare for the test: CELPIP is designed by a local Canadian institution, and the test sites are based on daily work and study in Canada. If candidates have life experience in Canada, preparation for the exam will be much easier.
- Simple question types: The CELPIP test is a computer-based test. Listening and reading are only multiple-choice questions, which is easier to master. Save time spell checking and writing by hand, making your time more focused on improving your score.
- Easy to apply: The minimum interval between bookings of the CELPIP exam is at least 4 days. Exam results are provided within 1 week. As there are many exam centres, candidates can continuously register for the exam without needing to wait too long.
- Help immigrants: The scoring system of the CELPIP exam is based on the official scoring standard of the Canadian Immigration Bureau, the CLB scoring standard. Candidates who need immigration English scores can easily use CELPIP to meet the requirements of Immigration Canada.
Enjoy professional online courses at home!
Professional online technical support · Get face-to-face communication opportunities with CELPIP officials · Experienced CELPIP and English training by local teachers · Quickly improve and see results immediately!
CELPIP vs IELTS
- The two exam types are CELPIP General and General-LS.
- General has all four sections (listening, speaking, reading, and writing).
- General-LS is only focused on listening and speaking.
- Questions are oriented towards daily life and are solely multiple-choice.
- The entire exam is computer-based and can be done in one sitting.
- The two types are: Academic and General.
- Academic is designed for students who need it to apply for a post-secondary institution.
- General is for immigrants and is divided into two parts: written and oral.
- The content is also divided into daily life and academic.
- Some regions offer a computer-based IELTS exam, but it is often a written one.
The 4 Components of CELPIP
The exam is three hours long and can be done in one sitting
A great difference between CELPIP and IELTS' listening section is that CELPIP only uses Canadian colloquialism and accents. IELTS uses multiple accents that can be difficult for test takers, especially if they struggle with English comprehension themselves.
Each question is timed and the timer is visible in the top-right corner of the screen. This will give test takers a visual representation of how they should pace themselves, and they have the option to click to the next question or let the computer do so automatically after time has run out. All questions are multiple-choice, so it's important to read the questions carefully to select the best answer.
Listening topics are the same, no matter the exam. They include listening to problem solving, daily life conversations, information, an oral news item, a video about a conversation, and viewpoints. The content is often related to Canadian cultures or traditions.
- 55 mins.
- Question Type
- Multiple choice
IELTS have different subject matters that vary from exam to exam. This can range from daily life encounters to historical accounts. On the other hand, CELPIP has a fixed structure, and its content is related to Canadian cultures and traditions.
The first part requires test takers to read correspondence and answer multiple-choice questions. The second is a diagram, which can also be a flyer, menu, website, or advertisement that can be found in the community, and test takers will need to fill in the blanks to a prewritten passage. The third section is the most difficult as it requires reading for information, and the last section focuses on opposing viewpoints.
Again, all questions are multiple-choice. Each question is timed and test takers will be able to see the time allocation on the top right-hand corner of their screen. It is important not to rush but to pay equal amounts of attention to each question.
- 60 mins.
- Question Type
- Multiple choice
The writing compositions in IELTS have two different word requirements. One needs 150 words and the other needs 200 words. Since the entire exam is handwritten, test takers may find this task difficult to accomplish within the time limit. CELPIP, on the other hand, has the same word limit of 150 - 200 words for both of its writing sections, and test takers will be able to type them out.
The advantage of being able to type these responses is that a word counter will track your response as you type. There is also spell-check, which will alert you of any errors. The formatting is standardized and you are only responsible for using the correct structure and fulfilling the necessary criteria.
Although the word requirement is lower for CELPIP, it is important to be specific and use your words wisely. The sections are also timed, so if you finish early, review your work and ensure it’s the best quality that you can create!
- 55 mins.
- Question Type
- Written answer
The speaking section is the most difficult task in both IELTS and CELPIP. Another great difference between the two tests is that IELTS requires a separate face-to-face appointment with an examiner that takes about 15 minutes. CELPIP’s speaking section is done within the same sitting and is recorded by a microphone.
Many may find the IELTS speaking section more natural because you’re having an actual conversation with another person. However, it can also be stressful because the examiner will observe more than just your response, like your body language, intonation, and accent. You will also not know what the questions will be beforehand.
The CELPIP speaking section is predictable and can be practiced. You may feel uncomfortable talking to yourself, but an examiner will not hear your responses until after your test is completed. It takes about 20 minutes to complete, but you will have time in between responses to think about the question and formulate your response.
- 20 mins.
- Question Type
- Spoken answer
If CELPIP is the right choice for you, get ahead quickly with our effective courses.
CELPIP Elite Class
Suitable for students who want a CELPIP score above 7 and develop a more advanced understanding.
CELPIP Sprint Class
Get CELPIP review on the test format and learn unique strategies to boost your scores.
Learn foundational English at your own pace in a judgement-free environment!
Learn basic spelling, listening, and speaking skills to aid them in daily life. No CELPIP experience needed.
Get extra help or focus on specific areas and issues from our professional CELPIP tutors.
More Test Resources for You
We provide exclusive in-house CELPIP sample tests for students and workshops with official partners. The official CELPIP website provides paid materials and workshops but does not offer 1-on-1 teaching. Materials are often in English, which can be stressful for beginner students. CELPIP Test Prep provides Chinese resources for stress-free learning.
Check out our YouTube channel for more tips and tricks to help you with CELPIP!
Frequently Asked Questions about CELPIP
Compared with IELTS, CELPIP has the following advantages:
The CELPIP exam is new, and the difficulty of the exam is relatively low. All the questions are multiple-choice, which eliminates the loss of scores caused by misspellings in the IELTS test. Moreover, a single question type makes the difficulty of the examination questions lower. CELPIP’s listening portion uses Canadian accents, rather than international accents such as in the IELTS test, which helps reduce test takers’ stress. The word count of the writing questions written for CELPIP is 150 words each, which is equivalent to two essays for IELTS. CELPIP test takers can also utilize the word counter and spelling error check while writing. Finally, CELPIP’s oral questions are fixed. After the candidates have mastered the rules and skills of the question types, they are more familiar with the recording of the computer-based test. Learn more about the differences here.
- You need to be present 45 minutes in advance on the test day;
- Mobile phones, watches, and electronic products cannot be brought into the examination room;
- After checking your ID, a photo will be taken, which will be displayed on your computer for the exam;
- After your photo is taken, you will get your seat number and login code code to access the testing computer. Remember to check the microphone and headset first to ensure that the equipment is working properly.
Your exam results will be available online through your CELPIP account in 4 - 5 calendar days after the test date. You can download your report as a PDF and view your scores on your account up to 2 years after your test date.
CELPIP Test Prep is officially recognized by Paragon to be a certified CELPIP learning center. Our teachers are CELPIP certified and our curriculum is constructed using their expertise to help students achieve their own desired scores.
Yes, candidates can cancel or reschedule their exams through their CELPIP account. If you’d like to cancel, you can get a 50% refund of the registration fee if you cancel 9 days before the test date. If less than 9 days, then there will be no refund. If you want to reschedule, you must pay the rescheduling fee. If you are applying to reschedule wtihin 9 days of the test day, you will need to provide additional proof of application.
CELPIP General assesses reading, writing, listening, and speaking and prepares test takers for permanent residency and applying for work permits. CELPIP LS only assesses listening and speaking, and is needed for citizenship. Preparing for CELPIP General will take more time than CELPIP LS, but the skills learned for the listening and speaking sections are still similar.
CELPIP-Standard costs $280. Additional fees will be charged if the test-taker needs to cancel or reschedule their exam.
Our prices are fixed; however, there are occasional promotions, so please stay in touch with us to learn more about these sales! We also give preferential prices to students who recommend new students, so please spread the word about our services to your friends who may need them!